Further details on the Australian travel ban that takes effect from 9.00pm Friday 20 March 2020:
- there is no indication of how long this ban will remain in place
- the following groups are exempt from the ban:
- Australian citizens
- Australian permanent residents
- New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia
- spouses, de facto partners, dependants and legal guardians of Australian citizens and permanent residents. Note that there is a specific form to complete for temporary visa holders (apart from temporary partner or child visas) seeking to rely on these provisions to enter to Australia. You need to complete the form and wait to hear from the Department before travelling to Australia
All other temporary visa holders will not be able to enter Australia after 9.00pm tonight.
If you hold a temporary visa and are in Australia, our advice is to stay put – do not leave Australia and keep your visa expiry date in mind. Regardless of the current situation, you are expected to maintain your lawful status whilst in Australia.
If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident who has not yet returned home but wants to, we suggest you move quickly. It is becoming increasingly difficult to organise international flights. Some clients have reported that overseas airports are closing and crossing borders by land is becoming more difficult.
If you, your family or your staff are impacted by the travel ban, or if you are worried because your visa is about to expire, please contact us for advice.
We are in unchartered territory, but we will get through this together. Stay safe everyone!